[Cialug] dual passphrase encryption

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 22:21:42 CST 2007

On Dec 7, 2007 10:05 PM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:

> Well, if the webserver has a copy of all of the private keys there
> wasn't much point to the exercise other than wasting CPU cycles.

The server has a copy of all keys but no copy of the passphrases, thus
you have secrecy.  The key relationship enforces that A can only talk
to B and B can only talk to A.  Unless I'm misunderstanding Matthew:
this accomplishes what he wants.  Specifically:

"Ideally, the passphrase that encrypts something is unable to decrypt
it.  The goal is to create a web application that can store a secret
message. Someone types a message, the server encrypts it and one of
two people can decrypt it."

I guess I don't fully understand his (read: his friend) overall
intentions.  A tricky point when it comes to encryption.

Colin