[Cialug] how are you implementing "web services"

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Dec 7 17:41:17 CST 2007

On Dec 7, 2007 5:09 PM, Colin Burnett <cmlburnett at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I have to use SOAP or XML-RPC, I pick XML-RPC.  IMHO, SOAP is
> bloated and overly complex so I stay away.  NuSOAP for PHP vs. SOAPpy
> for python is like night and day, respectively.  Though python has a
> significant advantage (in terms of coding simplicity) by having
> first-class functions.  Setting up a client or server with SOAPpy is
> like 2 lines.

Actually, this is very much my configuration. My application is using NuSOAP
and I'm having problems with it in PHP5. Unfortunately, the pickle approach
won't work for me (unless there's some magic I'm not aware of) because I use
PHP on the server and Python and PHP on the client.

However, the concept is something I'm considering. If I made a RESTful
service, the client could request the results to be serialized in a way it
likes by inclusion of a header tag (Accept-Encoding). So, for example, it
could send Accept-Encoding: text/json\r\n and have the results in JSON or
text/xml for XML.

For me, I'm getting tired of everything running in a browser, so I'm
exploring (in my personal time, therefore at a slow pace) creating
applications on the desktop that interoperate with web services or web
applications. Therefore I want to start thinking about this type of feature
for all my web applications.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode