[Cialug]voip

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Thu Dec 6 14:03:59 CST 2007

I have a problem in principle with selling excess electricity back to
the utility. First of all, it makes me feel like I'm subsidizing a
regulated monopoly. Even the with small generator at 1.8kw, it needs to
be amortized over a 15-20 year period to get a return on the investment.

I would sell power back to the utility if they would subsidize the wind
generator to the point where I can get a 2-3 year ROI.

Small scale wind doesn't make financial sense. How I can justify
spending $83.00 a month to generate $35.00 a month worth the
electricity?  Can I say that I'm doing my part to reduce the carbon
impact?  I'd probably make a bigger impact by giving the money to some
environmental group or by getting rid of my electric hot water heater.

It seems to me that whenever a salesman is pushing the "green" solution,
its because they are trying to get you "do the right" thing because it
just doesn't make financial sense.

What makes sense is for our existing power plants to build more large
wind scale farms (that run linux) instead of us little guys adding
capacity at our expense.

:) Dave