[Cialug] Re: DSMGG LAN Party (WAS: Administrative stuff)

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Wed Dec 5 16:23:07 CST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 4:01 PM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:

> On 12/5/07, Tim Wilson <tim_linux at wilson-home.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to get my new laptop ready.  I want to do a backup of it
> before
> > Vista screws with it.  And doing a backup of it has proved to be a pain.
>  If
> > I can get it ready in time, I plan on registering.  If not, I guess I'll
> > catch it next time.  What is the registration deadline?
>
> You're going to run Vista on a gaming PC?  Everything that I've read
> indicates that XP is much faster than Vista.  Even if I liked Windows,
> I can't think of a compelling reason to switch (other than "Ooh I
> gotta have the latest release").

See the "new laptop" part. :)  It came with Vista, and until I decide I
can't take it any longer, that's what I'm gonna run with.  Since I haven't
even let Vista boot yet, I don't know how bad it really is.  I'm willing to
give it a fair shake.  I wish it had Vista Ultimate or Vista Business on it,
then I could freely "downgrade" it to XP Pro.  But, I don't have the $$$ to
purchase XP right now, and I don't have the time to install XP before the
lan party.  Eventually, I plan to re-partition the drive to put Ubuntu on it
(if it runs, I had a problem with the 6.10 live CD), and maybe XP MCE.  I
seriously doubt I'll like Vista, but I'm gonna give it a shot first.

> Jeff

Tim