[Cialug] New Computer Hardware Issue

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Wed Dec 5 10:22:15 CST 2007

Oh, Biostar.  Hate to say it, but that could be the problem there.  I used
to like Biostar, until I had a problem, and a guy at work told me about a
problem he had.  He had a newer drive, that did UDMA5.  The problem is, the
chipset didn't.  It acted like it did, but he started losing data.  I think
he found a way to "clock" it down, so it didn't use UDMA5, and the problem
was solved.  The problem I had was the system would hang when playing a
mid-level game (it was my wife's computer, and she liked to play
Battleship).  It turned out, it started when I put a better sound card in.
I was told to install a newer 4-in-1 driver package on it.  The problem was,
I couldn't find that newer version on any of their websites.  DIT (back when
they were still good) gave me the newer driver package, and it seemed to fix
the problem.

On Dec 4, 2007 7:12 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2007 3:54 PM, Tim Wilson <tim_linux at wilson-home.com> wroteP:
> > When I read that paragraph, I read it as the machine booted up if you
> > disconnected the IDE cable from the optical drive (that is the case in
> my
> > scenario).  However, after re-reading it (and seeing a lot of people
> > thinking it's memory related), you could have meant that the drive
> powered
> > on, but the machine still didn't boot.  If the former is the case, then
> > don't think it is memory related.  If the latter is the case, then yeah,
> it
> > probably is memory.
>
> Yeah, so I disconnected everything, including power to the
> motherboard.  It didn't boot.  Surprised?  I then started hooking up
> things one by one.  I put the power cord in the motherboard first.  It
> turned on but didn't boot.  At no time, with no amount of hooking up
> in any configuration, did it boot even to BIOS.
>
> I will try now using only one stick of the memory instead of both, in
> case it's the memory.  I have a BIOSTAR 945P-A7A that takes DDR2 667
> memory.  I bought 2 512MB sticks of DDR2 667 Crucial memory.  Both
> came from Newegg.
>
> -todd

Tim