[Cialug] scipts/php app for wakeonlan

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Tue Dec 4 14:58:20 CST 2007

Thinking about this thread... having the users hibernate the PC
themselves sounds like a decent plan to me. Personally I don't like the
idea of automating startup & shutdown, but that's probably because I
don't follow as strict of a schedule as some people. :)

My old workstation was booting really slowly - and once it booted it was
sluggish for about 5 minutes, even if I disabled most of the startup
stuff that I could. It wasn't a slow PC really - 2.4ghz P4 with an IDE
drive. I upgraded to a core2duo PC with a SATA drive, and it boots
really fast. It could be that the old PC would have been better if I did
a fresh install of XP, but it was getting to be about 5 years old and I
was due for a new PC anyway.

-dc