[Cialug] scipts/php app for wakeonlan

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Tue Dec 4 13:29:26 CST 2007

I was thinking about writing something that would let people schedule their
machines to start up and be ready for them in the morning using wakeonlan.
This would allow them to shut their windows machines down at night but have
them ready for them in the morning.  In theory, this would be to save
electricity and help people who have a green conscience.

Has anybody seen or used something similar?

A web form to allow them to select days and times for their machine to start
up - maybe in 15 minute increments.  I'm not sure if I would keep the
settings in a database or not.  If php has some .ini file or plist-type
libraries I might choose those instead to keep the footprint small
(sacrificing scalability).  Is there anything similar to wakeonlan to
shutdown?  I wonder if there are any linux-based windows shutdown programs
like psshutdown.  I bet there are some WMI scripts that could do that.....

What is the best way to schedule a reoccurring item in php?  Use cron to run
a script every 15 minutes or so?

-Nate