[Cialug] New Computer Hardware Issue

Major Stubble major.stubble at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 15:07:36 CST 2007

Nathan and Nate,

I wish there was some really cool story behind all this, but in
reality, I got bit by this problem back when I built my current
computer.  I was having issues with my MSI K9N nForce 550 board.
 From there, all it took was lots of coffee (a habit I picked up from
Dr. Gray) and an internet connection.

The difference is, at the time I was paying top dollar for the
parts.  I was frustrated because I went with names that I had learned
to trust back when I built these things for a living.  OCZ being one
of them.

And to be fair, I found the solution then contacted them.  They were
gracious and sent replacements immediately.  The memory has been
solid since then.

(Though, I'll tell you right now, you couldn't pay me to purchase
another MSI.  Suggestions from anyone here?)

What I'm seeing now is that these premium prices that I paid have
dropped so that many more people are bumping into this problem.  And
it isn't because the products are bad, just stale.  Those that are
purchasing the cheaper memory are getting the same product with the
same problems for a lower cost.

As to blogging this?  The information is out there.  I suppose one
more blog re-writing all this might be useful.  Who knows.

BTW, my name's Nathaniel.  Nick to pretty much everyone who knows me.

-Nick