[Cialug] New Computer Hardware Issue

Major Stubble major.stubble at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 14:23:32 CST 2007

Nate,

Nothing that is official.  Has more to do with past experiences and
purchasing trends.

Most home builders will go with sticks manufactured by Crucial, OCZ,
or A-Data for 'value-priced' DDR2 performance.  In the 800Mhz kits,
OCZ provides better bulk prices so you'll find places like Newegg or
eWiz aggressively pricing 2GHz pairs with CAS 4 ratings.  Plus, OCZ's
Platinum revision 2 sticks were released in the first quarter,
dropping their Gold revision 2 stick prices.

Now, I like OCZ memory, but it suffers from one thing that Crucial,
Buffalo, Mushkin, and Wintech don't.  They push hard for the early
release date.  So, they will design their memory with higher voltage
requirements based off pre-release reference boards.  So, every now
and then, a company like Asus or MSI will give them a pre-release
reference board with the latest and greatest north-bridge, but change
some of the specs before release to make the board more stable.

So, some poor home-brewer will get these good motherboards with a
value-priced OCZ stick pair, not knowing that the SPD is outdated.
OCZ's NF5 chipset, for example, needed the Tras set loose to allow
the system to boot the first time. While the SPD reported to the BIOS
to run at 5-5-5-12, the board needs to see an SPD with the Tras at 15
for it to boot.

In the end, most times the solution is to hand-set the voltage (and
sometimes the Tras).  However, you'll need to keep that cheap stick
of memory handy - or flash the SPD for the memory (ugh!).  My
solution of late has been to purchase Patriot, Buffalo, or Mushkin
memory.  Corsair and Crucial memory are fine, but I have problems
finding them with the lower CAS rating without the price being a full
$20 more (per stick) than the competition.

My $.02.

-MS