[Cialug] New Computer Hardware Issue

Major Stubble major.stubble at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 13:19:45 CST 2007

Todd,

This seems like a classic case of memory issues.

If I were a betting man, I would say that you probably purchased an
AM2 motherboard and an DDR2-800 (PC2-6400).  I'll go even further out
on a limb and say you may have purchased OCZ memory?

This is a common problem I've seen lately, and while I may be very
far off the mark with your rig parts, I would still bet that it's an
issue with the RAM.  Specifically, I think it would be the voltage
for the RAM.

I would check this by getting a cheap stick of DDR2-667 to verify the
problem and to get the system into the BIOS.  Most boards will auto-
sense the timing correctly, but will not increase the voltage past
1.8V.  You will need to increase this by hand (AMI BIOS will color
coordinate this so that safe voltages will be green, moderately high
voltages are yellow, and dangerous, part-damaging voltages are red).
Depending on the memory, you may need to go as high as 2.1V.  This
can be dangerous, though.  Take it slow, or research the north-bridge
and memory combination you have for other people's experiences.

It might help out the list if you told us what parts you are using
and if you are hearing any kind of beeps when you boot.

-MS