[Cialug] DNS config - different results for internal vs external

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Dec 3 10:15:57 CST 2007

OK, here's what I've done for the DNS. I'm using bind 9. Things are
complicated by the fact that the DNS is managed primarily using a tool
called ISPConfig. This is a web based control panel for hosting companies
and works along the lines of the cobalt raq interface.

It leaves a section at the bottom of each of the bind config files where you
can place your own options and they won't get deleted when someone uses the
web interface to make changes.

I'm replacing my externally accessible addresses with EXT.EXT.EXT.[finaloctet]
and my internal addresses with INT.INT.INT.[finaloctent].

followers.net is the domain of the person who owns the DNS server (my friend
who lets me host my server in his rack for $10/mo)

named.conf - http://code.bearfruit.org/~matt/tmp/named.conf
pri.followers.net - http://code.bearfruit.org/~matt/tmp/pri.followers.net

As a side-note, it'd also be nice if computers in the "internal" segment
could also use this server as a caching name-server. Right now it doesn't
work, and if they try, everything resolves to the address used for
*.followers.net
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode