[Cialug] digital cable tv cards

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Sun Dec 2 21:13:36 CST 2007

There's a website that will help you determine the type of antenna for your
area.  Go to:
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

This is really for internal antennas.  On the box is a CEA color code.  For
my house, I need an antenna with a CEA color code of yellow for most
stations, and blue for WOI.  Of course, WOI is at a different angle (3
degrees) than the other stations.  I have an RCA antenna, and quite frankly,
it sucks.  I would recommend almost anything over it.  I've never been able
to get a station to stay locked in once I leave the antenna.  And I live on
a hill in West Des Moines.  Someone I work with bought a roof-mount
antenna.  He lives in Winterset, and doesn't seem to have too many problems.

On Dec 2, 2007 8:38 PM, Tad Anhalt <tja at netins.net> wrote:

> neal daringer wrote:
> > [...] as it stands i only have the ultra-basic cable plan (network
> > and local tv plus the shopping and religous channels), so if i can
> > get all the same channels that i get now OTA in digital, then why
> > should i stick with cable? i'm willing to shell out a few hundred
> > bucks now for a good antenna and pick up everything i need in digital
> > if it has its perks if catv wont be switching to digital.
>
> Where do you live?  You may not even need a "good" antenna. Ankeny gets
> both analog and digital for ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PAX, ION, KCWI, KDMI and
> PBS (2 digital channels) with junk rabbit ears (complete with clip-on
> UHF bowtie) and the built-in tuner on a fairly low end HDTV.  I've heard
> similar reports from friends in Grimes, Johnston and parts of Des Moines
> as well.
>
> There's also a few religious channels in there somewhere and a shopping
> channel as well if those are an important part of the TV experience that
> you feel you'd be missing by unplugging the cable...  ;)
>
> A better indoor directional antenna would probably help with multipath
> and make things less fiddly to set up and keep up, but it's worth a try
> with whatever junk you've got laying around first.
>
> Tad

Tim