[Cialug] digital cable tv cards

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Sun Dec 2 18:11:41 CST 2007

Here's an FAQ link:
http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html

Excerpts:

*Why are we switching to DTV?*

An important benefit of the switch to all-digital broadcasting is that it
will free up parts of the valuable broadcast spectrum for public safety
communications (such as police, fire departments, and rescue squads). In
addition, DTV also provides the opportunity for improved picture and sound
quality. Also, some of the spectrum will be auctioned to wireless companies
for the provision of advanced commercial wireless services (such as wireless
broadband).

With the transition to digital, consumers will also benefit from a more
efficient technology than the outdated analog system. For example, rather
than being limited to providing one analog programming channel, a
broadcaster will be able to provide a super sharp "high definition" (HD)
program or multiple "standard definition" (SD) digital programs
simultaneously. Providing several simultaneous programs on one broadcast
channel is called "multicasting." This means broadcasters can offer more
choices of programming. Further, DTV can provide interactive video and data
services that are not possible with analog technology.

*If I have an older analog television, will I have to throw it away after
February 17, 2009?*

No. A digital-to-analog converter box will allow you to continue using your
existing analog TV to watch over-the-air digital broadcasts. You do not need
to get rid of your existing analog TV. In addition, analog sets should
continue to work as before if connected to a subscription service such as
cable or satellite TV. Also, analog sets should continue to work with gaming
consoles, VCRs, DVD players, and similar products that you use now.

--
Tim