[Cialug] E-mail system suggestions

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Fri Aug 31 09:19:49 CDT 2007

Due to the recent retirement of the only person who fully understands
the baroque e-mail system we have here at Drake[*], something better
needs to be built. Naturally, due to the ease of integration and better
support i'd prefer an open source solution running on Linux. So i've
started researching what is available. Any suggestions on projects i
should look at? So far i want to test eGroupWare and Zimbra.

The official requirements are an "integrated system covering e-mail,
campus calendar, address books/contacts and cell phone/PDA downloads".
Why they want all those unrelated things in one monolithic product, i
don't know. But there it is. I expect whatever we go with will also
have to have some form of commercial support plan available as well.

[*] For those of you familiar with Drake, yes we're still running PMDF
    on VMS on an old Alpha.