[Cialug] Notifications: SPAM Blocked

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Thu Aug 30 09:48:31 CDT 2007

> Regardless of the solution you choose, be it a hosted managed service
> like we use, or an appliance like Dave recommends, I think that
> important thing is to decide whether it's a core job function
> for you to
> block spam.  If it's not, go with something that can be configured to
> block 99% of what's out there, so you can focus on what is
> core to you.

I agree with this sentiment, email *is not* our core competency, however,
with regard to hosted services....

Some hosted services (like Postini now Google) are simply too big (IMHO).
When they have issues it affects too many people.  Especially when they
suffer an outage or a type of virus is successful in eluding them.  An easy
case of too many eggs in one basket - and the old "monoculture" concern.  Do
we need Google sifting through email looking for keywords even if they claim
to be doing it anonymously?

Are the services a bit like a black hole?  Your message goes in, somebody
asks why their message wasn't delivered.  Do you have any idea what happened
after it went into the service?  Maybe some services have a means to address
this now.

For the record, we use a Sonicwall (formerly Mailfrontier) email software
these days.  It certainly stems the spam.  Let me know if you get a bounced
spoof from me.

Spam sucks, email is broken.

-Nate