[Cialug] Notifications: SPAM Blocked

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Thu Aug 30 09:32:13 CDT 2007

We started having problems with that about 1.5 years ago.  Our solution
was to go with a partner who filters our mail for us.  I like it because
it keeps the spam and virii from entering our network and consuming our
bandwidth.  Also, it allows those experts to battle the spam/virus
problem, so our folks can focus on actually running the network.

By the way, it took me most of those 1.5 years to finish tracing and
rearchitecting our mail systems so that any anti-spam solution would be
effective.  Odds are that your mail system isn't nearly as byzantine as
ours was.

Regardless of the solution you choose, be it a hosted managed service
like we use, or an appliance like Dave recommends, I think that
important thing is to decide whether it's a core job function for you to
block spam.  If it's not, go with something that can be configured to
block 99% of what's out there, so you can focus on what is core to you.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Chris K." <lister at kulish.com> 08/28/07 9:03 PM >>>
Is any else receiving loads of "our bulk email filter has blocked your

message" returns due to a spoofed email address?

Ive started black listing the domains in question.  Both in and
outbound.

If so, what measures are you taking?  I'm about fed up with these paper

cert'd admins configuring this crap and throwing it out on the
Internet.
The worst culprits are the jokers buying Barracudas.  Maybe Barracuda
Training is to blame...

C K