[Cialug]linux compatible hardware

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Aug 29 09:57:41 CDT 2007

On 8/29/07, Dave J. Hala Jr. <dave at 58ghz.net> wrote:
> I vaguely remember doing a cost analysis on a large hp network printer
> and Xerox laser 6-7 years ago.  I remember the Xerox having lower
> overall costs. However, I chickened out at the last second and bought
> the HP. (No one ever got fired for buying an Hp network printer)
>
> Have you had good luck with the Xerox in a mixed environment? Any
> driver/network printing problems?

I've used a xerox phaser color printer (actually, two, but can't
remember the models) and they worked perfectly. They were the thermal
wax style printers. One was branded xerox, the other was branded
techtronix iirc. Both used standard PS drivers.

They were set up on a windows 2000 server and shared that way for
Windows clients, and then the Linux computers accessed them directly
(not using the win2000 server) via lpr. I believe I also experimented
with IPP and that worked too, but I was more familiar with lpr so used
it.

I printed to the HP LJ4000 series printers the same way.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode