[Cialug] bash return values [was: enter passwords less]

Aaron Porter atporter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 17:36:51 CDT 2007

On 8/27/07, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> When I was a Windows user, I used putty, and I still miss it somewhat.
> One thing I did was assign a background color to the terminal window
> to distinguish different types of systems... i.e. mailservers,
> databases, etc. I usually prefer a black background but you can adjust
> the color slightly towards magenta or blue and it looks black until
> you compare it to another terminal that is black or one of the other
> colors.

I had a job doing software configuration management, one of my main
tasks was nursing the 4 day build process. 4 days of compiling, if
everything went well. Not so fun. One of my favorite tricks was to set
my DISPLAY to my home system, open a large xterm for the build process
and use xtermcontrol to change the background color of the xterm based
on build status. In my tiny apartment, I could disable my screen saver
and "keep an eye" on the build without leaving the couch/kitchen/deck
and without having to carry a pager. Looks like it's even packaged for
debian these days.

A little case statement in your login scripts and you could have the
same xterm change color every time you log into a new system.