[Cialug] cacti

Chris K. lister at kulish.com
Tue Aug 28 07:23:40 CDT 2007

Dave,

I am using cacti for monitoring currently.

By probing ports, are you just ensuring the ports on the target
server/workstation are open?

Anyway, cacti comes with a compiled poller (not php, think its C) for
larger deployments.  Supposedly it polls alot faster than it's php
counterpart, but I have never had a need to use it.  Polling 9 servers
with about 6-10 services on each, plus service specific measurements I
was still getting done in under 15-20 seconds or so.  Think the total
came to around 20-25 items per server being tracked.

I am currently not tracking anything as I am going through a conversion
on my home servers, but if you want to take a look at what I was
tracking to put that polling time in perspective, you can hit
http://tech.kulish.com/status

guest:guest