[Cialug] slow route

Cory Meyer cory.meyer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 17:23:38 CDT 2007

Who's answering DNS PTR requests for your SSH client's IP?
ie:  ssh from 192.168.2.2 --> 172.27.1.1?

SSH-Server# dig ns 168.192.in-addr.arpa.
168.192.in-addr.arpa.   83195   IN      NS      blackhole-1.iana.org.
168.192.in-addr.arpa.   83195   IN      NS      blackhole-2.iana.org.

I noticed today that lookups against the two above are timing out.  I'm
assuming that the 2 NS servers will return NULL if they ever do respond.

http://www.iana.org/faqs/abuse-faq.htm#FAQonBlackholeServers

 -- Cory