[Cialug] Windows Management / Linux Server

Kevin C. Smith kevin at linuxsmith.com
Fri Aug 17 10:47:57 CDT 2007

After our last meeting I was asked how I manage Windows boxes using a
Linux server.

Server: Debian (Samba/Domain Controller, Postfix, Cyrus IMAP,
amavisd-new, spamassassin, clamav, postgrey, Squid)

Groupware: OpenGroupware
http://opengroupware.org/

Thunderbird plugins to integrate with OpenGroupware:
http://www.inverse.ca/contributions/thunderbird_groupdav_plugin.html
http://www.inverse.ca/contributions/lightning_enhancer_plugin.html
I have only played with the plugins myself so far, everyone else uses
the web interface. They seem stable enough though.

WPKG for package management:
It can be used to push/pull software packages, such as Service Packs,
hotfixes, or program installations from a central server
(for example, Samba or Active Directory) to a number of
workstations.

http://wpkg.org/

OCS Inventory NG for (surprise) Inventory:
http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/

GLPI can work with OCS and is a good add on for managing your software:
http://www.glpi-project.org/?lang=en

I don't bother managing Windows updates, just let MS take care of that
for me. Bigger offices will not want to do this most likely, but works
fine for me. I think WPKG, at one point anyway, was working on a way
to simplify it, but I've not seen progress on this. It can be done
from WPKG if you needed to, with some work.

I think that about covers it.

--
Kevin C. Smith