[Cialug] RAM upgrade

Brandon Griffis brandongriffis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 17:19:53 CDT 2007

Kendall:

Wow, that manual is rather convoluted "four banks" but then later "two
slots".  *looks back and forth rather puzzled.*

Given what's already been said and going by Crucial's website (a very good
resource BTW), I'm guessing it's really just two 184-pin DDR memory slots,
each supporting up to a 1 gig chip.  If you know the board model I'm
guessing you've ready opened the side of the box.  Taking a look inside to
see if you've got two memory slots would be the best way to verify this.

The manual also says it only supports up to DDR333 (PC2700).  Crucial lists
a DDR400 (PC3200) option because that memory will automatically clock down
to your system speed (probably 333).  It used to be a big difference in
price between DDR400 and DDR333, but today they'll be almost the same.

ECC memory is more expensive and usually not that beneficial accept in
rather intense situations.  Non-ECC is what pretty much any standard PC
comes with, and what I'd recommend you stick with.

I would go with two sticks of either Kingston, Crucial, or Simpletech from
here (assuming you do only find two slots on your board):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subcategory=147&Description=&Type=&N=2010170147&srchInDesc=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&PropertyCodeValue=523%3A7858&PropertyCodeValue=524%3A7860

-B