[Cialug] php $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] and https requests

David W. Body davidbody at bigcreek.com
Tue Aug 14 17:23:43 CDT 2007

On Aug 14, 2007, at 11:30 AM, David Champion wrote:

> Dumb question... I'm checking the $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] in a php
> page, but if the href comes from a https page, the referrer is empty.
> Checked the apache access_log shows a "-" where the referrer would be.
>
> Is there a way to get the referrer or ip address from a https request,
> or am I sunk?
>
> -dc

According to this article, IE doesn't send the referrer when linking
from an https url to an http url (and in certain other circumstances).

   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/178066

I'm curious if anyone knows anything definitive about how other
browsers handle this.

--David W. Body / Big Creek Software, LLC