[Cialug] Xen Server Looking for a good home.

Jonathan A. Kollasch jakllsch at kollasch.net
Tue Aug 14 12:53:15 CDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 09:22:01AM -0500, Theron Conrey wrote:
> Having just returned from linuxworld, my spare time burner has been firing on all cylinders.  I happen to have lying around a dual 3.6G Pentium Xeon box with 4GB of RAM and plenty of hardware RAID1 Storage wrapped up in a shiny 1U Server with 4 gig NICs.  I did a minimal Debian install last night and installed the latest 3.1 Xen, it's a screamer.
>
> My intent is to offer up Debian VMs along the lines of what the guys over at xen-hosting.org are doing, however, I'm not sure what (if anything) I should charge, and I'd rather trade rackspace/bandwidth for VM(s).

How about NetBSD domUs too?
(though you kinda have too much RAM for that)

Even in a GNU/Linux domU case, I'd be interested if the price is
reasonable.

You might look at vps-choice.tld (yeah, I'm too lazy to jfgi)
for pricing stuffs.

> Looking at what's available with the hardware I'm guessing that I'll have room for roughly 7 VMs (15GB Storage, 512M ram each) or more if I reduce the VMs Memory/Storage.

That's so big I'd want it across multiple domUs.
I have anywhere from 48MiB to 256MiB for my domUs
here at home. Storage ranges from about 1GiB to 24GiB.

> What's rackspace / bandwidth go for these days?
> Does it usually cost a ton extra for an additional dozen IPs?
> Anyone got some rackspace / ideas?
>
> -Theron

	Jonathan Kollasch