[Cialug] Postgres trigger help.

Kevin C. Smith kevin at linuxsmith.com
Mon Aug 13 22:22:57 CDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 22:02 -0500, Tim Wilson wrote:
> I'm using Postgres 7.1.3, and I'm trying to set up a trigger.  I have
> a last_updated column on all of my tables, that is of type timestamp.
> I want to set the field every time the record is updated.  I thought a
> trigger would be best for that, but every example I find via Google
> doesn't work.  One said to create a function that returned type
> TRIGGER, another said type VOID, neither of which worked.  Every
> example I find uses one of those return types.  Anyone have any
> ideas?

I haven't tried triggers with postgresql, but I think it's a two
step thing in most cases. Write a function, then create a trigger
to call that function on insert or update.

Try:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/triggers.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/plpgsql.html

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful. --- Lucius Annaeus Seneca