[Cialug] Amazon SQS

Jerry Heiselman jweida at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 21:43:25 CDT 2007

On 8/9/07, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> What exactly would one use Amazon's SQS for?
>
> Amazon Simple Queue Service (Amazon SQS)
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=13584001
>
> I think of queues as being inside of computers where speed is much
> desired.  I can't imagine the speed of a web service queue being
> something one would rely on.
>
> -todd

Just sounds like a IBM MQ for Web Services.  And queues really aren't
used so much for speed as they are for reliability.  The message is
put in the queue and if the other side of the queue isn't ready to
accept the message, it just sits there with other messages in the
proper sequence waiting to be retrieved.

Don't know why one would ever want to use a hosted queuing service as
they aren't that difficult to build yourself.  And you didn't want to
build it, there is always IBM MQ and I'm sure a dozen other commercial
solutions not to mention any FOSS solutions that I'm oblivious to.

--
Jerry H
jweida [-at-] gmail [-dot-] com