[Cialug] mysql database design

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Thu Aug 9 16:35:01 CDT 2007

> Forgive me, that sounded a little harsher than I meant it. MySQL is
> good for some tasks (like full text search, which rocks). But when I
> need more complex logic at the db level I use Postgres.

You know I hear that alot but have yet run into cases where MySQL performance is so bad you can make it work.  Most cases I've had where MySQL doesn't work well was the result of poor design, not the DBMS.  Now if your point is that maybe MySQL isn't a tolerant of poorly designed databases as other DBMS's then you may have a point.  That said yes we use both Postresql and MySQL but it's more to do with vendor software requiring one over the other than anything.  I'm perfectly fine using either, just funny that given how much has changed with both MySQL and Postgres the argument for and against seem to stay the same.

--Tony