[Cialug] Linux USB WiFi

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Fri Aug 3 10:06:37 CDT 2007

David Champion wrote:
> Anyone have a good recommendation for a Linux USB-dongle WiFi a/b/g
> (don't care about N yet) adapter with native driver support? I could do
> ndiswrapper for one, but would prefer native.
>
> -dc

Went to CompUSA last night and did some R&D. Handy having the Qwest DSL
laptop display there so I could google information about the products. I
didn't find any of the usb wifi adapters they had there that support
Linux. One of the Belkins supposedly used to have the RALink driver, but
newer versions changed chipsets.

After some looking I found this one - the Buffalo WLI-U2-KG54 :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162130

According to this post, it works under Mandriva (what I'm using anyway)
with the RALink driver.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=3053&cat=all

-dc