[Cialug] LS ?

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 10:29:57 CDT 2007

On 4/27/07, albus <albus at iowaconnect.com> wrote:
> How in the world do you turn off colors in LS?
>
> I've tried ls --color=never but that only seems to work for
> the one time listing. Then the colors are back the next ls.

The options only apply to that particular run.  To make it more
permanent, you can do this in your ~/.bashrc:

alias ls='ls --color=never'

Now when you type ls, the alias will invoke the real command with the option.

That might not be the best possible way, but it's my lazy way of doing
it.  For your already running shells, you'll need to ". ~/.bashrc" to
apply the setting.

I'm sure others will chime in with alternative approaches.

> I hates blue letters on a black background.

Ah, I love 'em.  To each their own.

--
Nathan P. Stien
Consulting Engineer / Software Developer