[Cialug] question on "free" webhosting

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Sun Apr 15 15:10:36 CDT 2007

I've heard decent things about  http://www.siteground.com/ though I've
not used them myself.

However, I have to ask...  why not just host it yourself?  If you
currently have a DSL line (or maybe cable), just pay the extra to your
ISP for a static IP, and do whatever you want.  Not only is it
unlimited, but it gives you excellent way to learn about the basics of
sysadmin and internet security.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Ralph Kessel" <kesselr1 at mchsi.com> 04/15/07 3:06 PM >>>
I sent myself up a with a "free" webhosting site: phpnet.us. The only
problem, besides the annoying ads, is that excluded many PHP commands
such as fopen unless I migrated to the fee for service plan. Given the
cost, I have no problem with that. However, my question, given my
spartan life style, are there reliable hosting plans (php- mysql, etc)
out there and if I decide later to enroll for fee cancel .  I know, I
get what I pay for!
Ralph