[Cialug] Evolution setup: want just calendar

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 20:33:22 CDT 2007

On 4/10/07, Rachel Garrett <rmgarrett at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm getting confused about what the calendar feature can do. I created
> a personal calendar, saved it in .ics format, and put it up on a web
> server. I changed the permissions to 755. . .

I don't know much about how Evolution is trying to access the .ics
file, but this might be what's going on:

I believe 755 translates to:
  user has r, w and x
  group has r and x
  other has r and x

If you are accessing the file from a URL
(http://web.site.net/calendar.ics), then the file is being accessed by
the account which is running the Web server (typically, nobody).  This
account is likely a member of 'other', therefore it has only r and x
permissions, thus the read only status in Evolution.

Again, I know nothing of how Evolution is trying to access the file,
so the above may be patently false.

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night