[Cialug] Satellite ISPs

Jim Cole jrcole at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 12:10:47 CDT 2007

Are they really that bad?  I've never tried it but I work from home and VPN
into my company..someone in my office had the satellite service for a bit
and said VPN worked and it was usable. I've never experiences it.

I'm looking to purchase land outside of Nevada, IA(78 acres) for a new house
but that probably doesn't get DSL or cable. I'm considering trying Satellite
prior to buying the land to see if it'll work and I'm also considering
talking to some ISPs about putting in a WiMax system..I know one ISP is
looking into it and it has a 20 mile line of sight range..I need to see if
this land will be able to hit the tower they're looking at for this. Yeah, I
might pay $2000 for the receiver but it's not that much..I looked at another
house and mediacom wanted $8000 to run a line to the house..800 feet from
the nearest pole with cable on it.

-Jim