[Cialug] Iowa Telecom and Qwest

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Wed Apr 4 14:32:58 CDT 2007

It may be technically feasible, but it may not always be legally
feasible. :-)  Mediacom says "thou shalt not run any server on thou
network", or something to that effect.  The problem is what defines a
server?  If you share a printer, then technically, you have a print
server.  If you share files, then you have a file server.  You get the
idea.  I don't think Mediacom would come after you for those things,
but if they busted you running a pron server out of your home, they
might tack on the other violations of the agreement as well.  If your
DSL provider doesn't have issues that Mediacom does, then it should be
fine.  Of course, I wouldn't run the next Google off your home DSL
connection. :-)

On 4/4/07, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 April 2007 13:31, Neal Daringer wrote:
> > i would never suggest to host anything on it, of course(same would
> > go for DSL).
>
> What's wrong with hosting off of DSL? I've been doing that at home for
> years. My e-mail, web sites, and my roommate's web site have all been
> running just fine for years. My 1.5Mbit/768kbit connection at home is
> much slower than what is available at work, but it has proven to be
> considerably more reliable.

Tim