[Cialug] Sendmail spam rejection

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Tue Oct 24 16:05:34 CDT 2006

I have what is hopefully an easy question for the sendmail wizards on
this list. I have 2 mail servers. The first receives mail from the
outside world, filters out most of the spam, and then passes the mail
to the second server (which is what users actually log in to to check
their mail). The first server runs sendmail. It does not currently have
a way to verify the recipient addresses, so it just accepts all mail
for the domain. Then when the first server forwards mail on to the
second server, any invalid recipients cause a bounce to be generated.

I would prefer for the first server to never accept invalid recipients
in the first place, before running expensive spam checks and clogging
up the second server with bounces that usually never go anywhere. I
have a nightly data feed with a list of valid recipients. What is the
best way to load that list on to the first mail server and make
sendmail check it as soon as it has received a recipient address?

So far Google has not been quite as helpful as i would have liked
(probably because i'm not familiar enough with sendmail to search the
correct terms), but i've found 2 possibilities. I don't know whether
they are plausible, though. One would be to set up a virtusertable hash
file with a list of valid recipients (all 20 000 of them), but i think
that is mostly used to rewrite addresses. I don't want to rewrite
addresses, i just want to have a list of valid ones and deny the rest:
    user1 at example.com    user1 at example.com
    user2 at example.com    user2 at example.com
    @example.com         error:"550 We do not accept spam"

Would that work? If not, the other idea i've seen would be to set up
sendmail's ldap_routing feature, but instead of using real LDAP, use a
hash table. Unfortunately, i've not yet found understandable
instructions on how to use the ldap_routing with a hash file.