[Cialug] AIT 8-1 tape changer

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Tue Oct 10 21:36:34 CDT 2006

Tim Perdue wrote:
> David Champion wrote:
>> Looks like Newegg has the best deal on AIT3's - about $45 per tape.
>>
>> Disk backup vs Tape backup is kind of an apples & oranges issue. With
>> tapes, you can more easily keep a historical archive. We also take
>> tapes to an off-site location. As DW pointed out once, I can drop a
>> tape from 6 feet with no problems, but that would likely destroy a HD.
>>
>> I've been using AIT tapes for about 7 years, and have had really good
>> luck with them.
>
> I understand - I was thinking about tape backup myself, as I currently
> just tar/bzip everything and burn to DVD weekly.
>
> Looks like newegg has the 500GB drives for $179, which would be a bit
> cheaper than the tapes on a per-GB basis. Add in the cost of the $2200
> drive and there's a pretty rich premium there. I wonder why tapes aren't
> cheaper?

I tried to stuff an employee into a 19" rack in an uncomfortably cold
room with no lighting and no breaks and they didn't enjoy it. The 2 TB
tape changer hasn't complained yet and doesn't need bathroom breaks.

> Who drops this stuff from 6 feet anyway? ;-)

You'd be amazed... Unfortunately the drive is usually still in the
computer when it's dropped.

dave