[Cialug] AIT 8-1 tape changer

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Tue Oct 10 15:26:38 CDT 2006

I do the same thing with the DVD's.  The problem I've had over the last
year is that the DVD drives stuck up a lot of dust and fail. They've
been lasting about 6 months. Most of them I've had replaced under
warranty, but I'm thinking that an external USB drive is probably a
better choice.

I don't generally drop stuff from 6 feet, but there have been times when
a storage device has flown accross the room and smashed into the wall
with *considerable* impact.

On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 15:19, Tim Perdue wrote:
> David Champion wrote:
>
> > Looks like Newegg has the best deal on AIT3's - about $45 per tape.
> >
> > Disk backup vs Tape backup is kind of an apples & oranges issue. With
> > tapes, you can more easily keep a historical archive. We also take tapes
> > to an off-site location. As DW pointed out once, I can drop a tape from
> > 6 feet with no problems, but that would likely destroy a HD.
> >
> > I've been using AIT tapes for about 7 years, and have had really good
> > luck with them.
>
> I understand - I was thinking about tape backup myself, as I currently
> just tar/bzip everything and burn to DVD weekly.
>
> Looks like newegg has the 500GB drives for $179, which would be a bit
> cheaper than the tapes on a per-GB basis. Add in the cost of the $2200
> drive and there's a pretty rich premium there. I wonder why tapes aren't
> cheaper?
>
> Who drops this stuff from 6 feet anyway? ;-)
>
> Tim

Open Source Information Systems, Inc. (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr., President <dave at osis.us>
641.485.1606