[Cialug] AIT 8-1 tape changer

Tim Perdue tim06 at perdue.net
Tue Oct 10 15:19:30 CDT 2006

David Champion wrote:

> Looks like Newegg has the best deal on AIT3's - about $45 per tape.
>
> Disk backup vs Tape backup is kind of an apples & oranges issue. With
> tapes, you can more easily keep a historical archive. We also take tapes
> to an off-site location. As DW pointed out once, I can drop a tape from
> 6 feet with no problems, but that would likely destroy a HD.
>
> I've been using AIT tapes for about 7 years, and have had really good
> luck with them.

I understand - I was thinking about tape backup myself, as I currently
just tar/bzip everything and burn to DVD weekly.

Looks like newegg has the 500GB drives for $179, which would be a bit
cheaper than the tapes on a per-GB basis. Add in the cost of the $2200
drive and there's a pretty rich premium there. I wonder why tapes aren't
cheaper?

Who drops this stuff from 6 feet anyway? ;-)

Tim