[Cialug] looking for a hosting company

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Wed Oct 4 15:35:39 CDT 2006

afan at afan.net wrote:
> hi,
> firm I work for, want to change current hosting company. we are looking
> for a managed dedicated server (I'll administer server as much as I can
> but I would need some help) with P4, 2.8GHz+, 1GB RAM, 60GBHD+, Linux
> (SuSE if it's possible), 100GB+ Bandwidth, 24/7 phone tech support.
>
> any recommendation? after 2 days of google-ing - I gave up. so many
> hosting companies and all of them are "the best" :) really need
> recommendation.

I have servers in two data centers. I've got 6 at server pronto. There
you can get an AMD 2GHz server for $29.95 per month or a P4 3GHz for
$49.95 per moth. They offer several Linux options including Suse.

If you're competent at managing a server I'd highly recommend them.

They have an affiliate program, so if you don't mind, use this link and
I'll get credit:
http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-2076585-10357280

If you'd rather not, then their address is www.serverpronto.com.

If you sign up with them and, for example, want the $29.95 server
(again, I have 6 and they work great) but wish it had more ram, there's
a one time fee to add the ram but your monthly rate stays the same.

So the catch is that they don't have telephone support. Instead you use
a web-form. If you need a reboot, they're very fast. Other support
requests can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.

As a benefit though, they do manage DNS for you, which in my opinion is
a major plus since DNS is one of those mystic arts that I mess with so
rarely that I forget everything I know between instances.

I also have servers at Powermedium/Hostway (same data center as
wikipedia, some NHL and NFL teams) but they, like so many other data
centers, are so focused on big companies that if you only have a few
servers the cost is too high. Admittedly, as long as you don't call on a
Sunday or Friday night, their support is awesome.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode