[Cialug] RedHat ES 4 - static IP's?

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Mon Nov 20 11:34:41 CST 2006

Below, I meant to say "This first server has no ifcfg-eth0, the other
one doesn't".

ifconfig just shows the loopback and eth1, as I would expect.

BTW, both servers just reverted back to their dhcp addresses again
without any intervention (as in the servers didn't reboot, and nobody
did anything to them). Doing a "service network restart" puts them back
to static. Yay, RedHat.

Found this:
# ps aux | grep -i dhcp
root      2651  0.0  0.0  4356 1196 ?        Ss   Nov18   0:00
/sbin/dhclient -1 -q -lf /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth1.leases -pf
/var/run/dhclient-eth1.pid eth1

I didn't see any obvious service that should be running dhclient. I did
a "rpm -e dhcpv6_client", that should kill it.

-dc