[Cialug] RedHat ES 4 - static IP's?

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Mon Nov 20 10:35:22 CST 2006

This is off of a CentOS 4 system, should be identical to what you need.

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=xx.xx.xx.255
HWADDR=00:04:23:BF:AA:84
IPADDR=xx.xx.xx.xx
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=xx.xx.xx.0
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> David Champion <dchampion at visionary.com> 11/20/06 10:16 AM >>>
I have couple of new servers with RedHat ES 4. During the setup
process,
  I configured them to have a static IP address. When the system
booted,
and again after I did a full up2date (600+ mb later...) they come up
with a DHCP address. If I do a "system network restart", they get the
static IP I assigned again.

The only thing I see odd is in the
/etc/sysconfig/network- scripts/ifcfg- eth1 (eth1 is is the first
ethernet
port labelled GB 1 on these Dell 2950's, and GB 2 is apparantly eth0 -

but that's another story) -  is  it has "BOOTPROTO=none". I'm used to
seeing "BOOTPROTO=static". I looked in the RH knowledgbase, and a lot
of
the documentation doesn't mention "static" anywhere, but is is
sometimes
shown on other articles.

Any ideas on this?

- dc