[Cialug] So who didn't see this one coming?

Daniel.Juliano at wellsfargo.com Daniel.Juliano at wellsfargo.com
Fri Nov 17 10:24:47 CST 2006

What I don't get is everyone's assumption that such a lawsuit would
naturally involve IBM, Sun, Red Hat, etc.

SCO sued IBM directly, and IIRC it started as a contract dispute.

If Microsoft doled a cease and desist out to the Samba project and sued
the Samba team for infringement, this matter of "IBM could easily long
term lawyer them out of a courtroom" might not hold water.  We cannot be
entirely certain that IBM (or Sun or Red Hat, etc) would / can step up
to the plate in a suit that is not directed against them.

My concern is Microsoft might never attack property in The Kernel (tm),
as wayyy too many companies are involved in it's development, but it
would be relatively easy to attack some of the key applications that
make running linux worthwhile.

=Dan

  _____