[Cialug] Gigabit NICs

jcbailey at code0.net jcbailey at code0.net
Mon Nov 13 18:18:32 CST 2006

Everyone-

I'm looking for a suggestion for gigabit NICs for server use under Linux.
We're currently a NT/2k/2k3 shop on the Windows side and a Debian/Ubuntu
shop on the Linux side. We're looking for a solid NIC that works with the
stock kernels in Sarge and Dapper. We have used the Linksys EG1032v2
before with few issues, but Linksys has changed to the RTL8169 chipset in
the v3. We're looking for a solid card that won't change chipsets during
the lifespan of the card. I've looked at the Intel PRO/1000 GT cards and
they seem pretty good for price/performance, but I haven't had any
experience with them. Does anyone have any opinions for server NICs?

Jon