[Cialug] Off-Topic Q in Windows

John.Lengeling at radisys.com John.Lengeling at radisys.com
Thu Nov 9 10:38:23 CST 2006

I know that this is off-topic but I thought I might see if someone could
help since Linux people are very smart. :-)   Please reply off-list if you
can help.

I am trying to help my sister by reloading WinXP on her PC since something
trashed part of her HD.
She couldn't find her WinXP cdrom so just used mine and installed WinXP
with my key on a new HD.
I extracted her XP key from the registry on her old HD and then tried to
change the key using Windows Activation tool (it allows you to change the
key before activation)

The problem is that when I try to actually activate her PC and I enter her
valid key, it complains that this key doesn't match the product.  So my
WinXP CD must have been different from her original CD.

Is there a solution?