[Cialug] DHCP Question

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 13:09:32 CST 2006

Although this is specifically a Windows DHCP implementation, I suppose
the answer will apply to DHCP in general. . .

We have an existing DHCP scope with the following characteristics:
  Range: 192.168.0.1 through 0.240
  Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 (aka /24)

I want to set up a second scope in the .1.x range and extend the
subnet mask so that both ranges can "talk."  I'm pretty sure simply
changing the subnet to 255.255.254.0 (aka /23) for both ranges will do
the trick, making the entire address space from 0.1 through 1.254
available.  Just looking for another couple of brains to review and
let me know what I missed.

Can you think of any gotchas with this setup?  It is definitely a
kludge until I get time to re-work our DHCP and most of the rest of
our network, but I want to make sure we don't run out of address space
in the short term.

TIA,
kristau
--