[Cialug] xorg.conf issues

Jonathan A. Kollasch jakllsch at kollasch.net
Tue Nov 7 15:32:43 CST 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 09:31:46AM -0600, Tony Bibbs wrote:
> I have a Compaq n620c laptop.  The LCD can only do 1024x768 while when
> hooked up to the Gateway VX1100 monitor it can do better than 1280x1024.
>   This works as one might expect under Windows XP.
>
> I'm now trying to dual boot Kubuntu and for the life of me I can't get
> the thing to run under 1280x1024.  The X log gives me something about
> mode 1280x1024 out of range using both the ATI and Radeon drivers for my
> ATI Mobility LW 7500.  I'm suspecting that this issue is probably a
> problem with generally poor support for that particular chipset but I'm
> hoping one of you can prove me wrong.
>
> Where should I start troubleshooting?  Do I need to use the mergedFB
> option somehow?
>
> --Tony

I was having this issue with a i810e-base Dell OptiPlex GX110
and a Dell UltraScan P991.  Turns out the DDC info the monitor
was passing to X was indicating the maximum resolution I was
getting.

`Option "NoDDC" "true"` in the "Device" section allowed me to
override this, but the image was all pattereny, *sigh*.

You may also have to spec out a HorizSync and/or VertRefresh,
and maybe even a ModeLine/Modes to get what you want.

This, of course totally ignores having two displays and whatnot
however.

	Jonathan Kollasch