[Cialug] xorg.conf issues

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Tue Nov 7 09:31:46 CST 2006

I have a Compaq n620c laptop.  The LCD can only do 1024x768 while when
hooked up to the Gateway VX1100 monitor it can do better than 1280x1024.
   This works as one might expect under Windows XP.

I'm now trying to dual boot Kubuntu and for the life of me I can't get
the thing to run under 1280x1024.  The X log gives me something about
mode 1280x1024 out of range using both the ATI and Radeon drivers for my
ATI Mobility LW 7500.  I'm suspecting that this issue is probably a
problem with generally poor support for that particular chipset but I'm
hoping one of you can prove me wrong.

Where should I start troubleshooting?  Do I need to use the mergedFB
option somehow?

--Tony