[Cialug] MSFT to partner with Novell

Daniel.Juliano at wellsfargo.com Daniel.Juliano at wellsfargo.com
Mon Nov 6 11:35:21 CST 2006

Hmmm, Yast (or apt-get) on windows ....

Ruby's Gem package installer works on Windows, and what's cool about it
is:
1) when a Gem is pure Ruby code, it can install the Gem on your machine
without thinking about platform ('cuz you've got a Ruby VM already),
2) when a Gem is binary, the Gem installer checks your OS vs the
repository and either gives you choices of Gems compiled for your OS or
fails out letting you know there's no Gem compiled and packaged for your
platform.

Perl's CPAN (I get that right?) is similar, no?  And java is headed that
way.

Problem with Yast on Windows is most of the packages are binary
compiles, which means they would need repackaging for Windows, which is
not a small effort.  But it's an idea I'd welcome.

Shame you can't 'apt-get upgrade windows' and have it all just work.
Though if it did, Microsoft would have a hard time selling their system
management tools.

=Dan