[Cialug] OT: Cleaning electronics

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Fri Nov 3 09:48:17 CST 2006

Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> I picked up a used HP LaserJet that reeks of cigarette smoke.  Anybody have
> any tips for cleaning it out?  Right now I have it sitting in the garage.  I
> was going to try one of those citrus cleaners on the outside, but the smell
> has almost certainly impregnated the inside.
>
> Looking for some tips or advice.  Thanks.

Good old Formula 409 works great for cleaning cigarrette residue from
the outside. (Vanish and I worked for a place that refirbed computer
equipment a long time ago, we went thru gallons of it).

On the inside, (remove the toner cart first) you can shop-vac it out,
and blow all the dust out of any cooling fans. NOTE: toner powder is so
fine, it will go right through your shop-vac filters. Do this outside,
our you'll end up with toner everywhere.

-dc