[Cialug] DSL provider costs.

Dave Weis djweis at sjdjweis.com
Thu May 18 09:13:55 CDT 2006

On Thu, 18 May 2006, John.Lengeling at radisys.com wrote:
> cialug-bounces at cialug.org wrote on 05/18/2006 08:03:35 AM:
>> Providing DSL can be expensive, especially when your customers are all
>> over. I'm one of the last people that will defend Iowa Telecom but they
> do
>> have DSL in 100% of their towns. It gets expensive to put a DSLAM in
> West
>> Pig's Knuckle Iowa and the recurring cost of dragging a couple T1's back
>> to Newton.
>
> Having DSL in 100% of their towns is great!  Do people remember GTE?  The
> company who would not upgrade/improve anything out in the small towns.
> Iowa Telecom is a marked improvement over GTE.

I grew up in a GTE town. WHen I was younger they recabled the whole town
and put in a digital switch. That was in a town of 1200 people in Western
Iowa. I and clients have more problems with Iowa Telecom than we did with
GTE, but they didn't sell anything more than analog phone lines then
either.

Getting T1 repairs is a pain, we had one outage that was pushing 8 hours
and it ended up being a bad connection on the back of one of their shelves
in the CO.

--
Dave Weis             "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment
djweis at sjdjweis.com   of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent