[Cialug] DSL provider costs.

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Thu May 18 08:03:35 CDT 2006

On Wed, 17 May 2006, john doe wrote:
> After talking with a neighbor of my parents the other day, I was surprised
> to hear that he's paying around $40 for 768 kbps DSL from Iowa Telecom.
> Thought that was a little bit high, so I looked at the Iowa Telecom site.
> Not only was he right, but the price for 1.024 Mb was $169.99!
>
> Does anyone else have information on non-Qwest residential high-speed
> access (dsl, otherwise) around the state?

Providing DSL can be expensive, especially when your customers are all
over. I'm one of the last people that will defend Iowa Telecom but they do
have DSL in 100% of their towns. It gets expensive to put a DSLAM in West
Pig's Knuckle Iowa and the recurring cost of dragging a couple T1's back
to Newton.

A later message said they were looking at WiMax, I don't think that's
going to work as well as everyone that's selling it does. There's not
enough control over the spectrum and interference to give me a warm fuzzy
feeling. Comparing it to fiber is ridiculous, it's orders of magnitude
faster and more reliable.

--
Dave Weis
djweis at internetsolver.com